The holidays are the time of year when everyone splurges a bit with decadent meals and quality family time. I’ve combined both to bring you my whole wheat gingerbread cinnamon roll pancakes.
My kids and I immediately fell in love with these Pancake Art Kits.. I mean you know you’ve got a winning product when you transform an ordinary everyday task into a family activity that everyone loves…including mom! I’m not kidding when I say this is used weekly at my house.
Today I’ve partnered with Whiskware to bring you this Whole wheat gingerbread cinnamon roll pancake recipe/tutorial and a promo code to get yourself one of these fun pancake art kits. Honestly these kits (coupled with the printed recipe below) make the perfect Christmas gifts. Use code: REMINGTON for $5 off any $25 purchase. Now lets get to the fun part!
Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Fluffy, comforting whole wheat pancakes flavored ginger and molasses. Swirl in a gooey cinnamon frosting and top them with good ol’ maple syrup or Fresh whipped cream (my fav)! We can claim they are semi healthy due to the whole wheat flour and molasses (which contain numerous health benefits). Let’s just look over the added sugar part and enjoy the comforting Christmas time flavors though shall we?!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses (the strength of your molasses will determine the intensity of the gingerbread flavor- the darker, the more intense)
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat your griddle (or pan) to 350 degrees or over medium heat. In the large Whiskware shaker bottle, combine the milk, egg, molasses, maple syrup, butter and vanilla. Shake until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. The batter combines easily in the shaker when dry ingredients are added after wet ingredients.
- In the small Whiskware shaker bottle, combine melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Shake well.
- Ready for the fun part? Squeeze out the whole wheat gingerbread pancake batter into the skillet forming whatever shape your desire. We made snowmen and gingerbread men, but a simple circle would do the trick too. Let the pancake cook about 30 seconds while you shake your cinnamon swirl on last time. Swirl on the cinnamon glaze, starting in the center of the pancake if making circles. Cook the pancake about 2 minutes, or until it starts to bubble. Using a thin spatula, gently wiggle it under the pancake and quickly flip it over. Some of the cinnamon swirl may spill out in the process but don’t worry about that. Cook the pancake for a minute on the other side and then remove it from the griddle, flipping it over so the cinnamon-swirl is on top.
- Serve the cooked pancake immediately or keep warm in an oven set to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Repeat with remaining pancakes, adjusting heat as necessary to achieve pancakes that are cooked through and golden brown on both sides.
- Top them with maple syrup or whipped cream and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, please help me share it with others by pinning the image below! Happy holidays and may your pancake making never be ordinary again! If you like this, CLICK HERE to try my home made scented baking soda Christmas ornaments. It’s an easy & fun family activity.