Just because I follow a Ketogenic diet doesn’t mean I don’t like GOOD food. Everybody’s gotta have some go-to comfort food recipes and this one is my husbands favorite. I could serve this meal to guests and they would like it just as much as the real thing. A traditional American shepherd’s pie consists of ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, corn, and peas, topped with mashed potatoes. So how exactly do you make a low carb shepherd’s pie? I’ll give you a hint…cauliflower!! Today I’m going to blow your mind with my ketogenic Shepherd’s pie recipe!
PIN THIS IMAGE to save it for later and share with others!
If you are on a low carb or ketogenic diet, you will definetely want to check out my 10 min pan pizza recipe as well. Click Here for the recipe.
Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
1 Large head of cauliflower cut into florets
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons of butter (1/2 stick)
1.5-2lbs Ground Beef
I medium onion chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 carrots chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
80z of mushrooms chopped
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 teaspoon of Guar gum or Xanthan gum
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cauliflower florets, garlic salt, and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let the cauliflower cook until tender and breaks with a fork. Approx 15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, add ground beef and onion to a large skillet and cook over medium heat till no longer pink, drain. Stir in garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and salt & pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for about 8 minutes.
- Combine beef broth and Guar gum till well blended; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour beef mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and spread evenly along the bottom. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the beef creating another layer. Set aside.
- Drain the water from the cooked cauliflower. Add heavy cream and butter to the sauce pan and blend using a hand blender, hand mixer, or by hand. I find that the hand blender or mixer will give it a fluffier finish closer to mashed potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly over the beef and cheese layer.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
Suggested variation: Add 1 cup frozen green beans chopped and thawed.
*Special notes: You want to stay away from peas and corn because of the high sugar content in those veggies. I did include 3 cooked carrots, but when portioned out throughout this whole dish, the amount of net carbs per serving is very minimal.
Add to favorites or read later