Ya’ll know by now that I follow the ketogenic diet (low carb- high fat). However, I also really like to eat GOOD food so It’s super important to me to still cook the comfort foods that my family loves. I experimented with a crust a couple weeks ago that was pretty good, but not perfect. My family still ate it up quickly, but this time was so much better. I always wait to share my recipes with all of you till I have them perfected. Easy Keto meals are a must-have around here and I’m guessing if you follow a low carb or ketogenic diet, that quick and easy is welcomed too. Instead of using a traditional mixed veggie bag (which contains peas, carrots, and corn – all very high carb veggies), opt for green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and/or a few carrots. Eating veggies is super important to remember and easily overlooked when following a ketogenic diet. You can also add spinach in if you’d like. Last note, I always use rotisserie chicken cause duh its easy- one less step for me and because its super moist and doesn’t dry out while cooking the pot pie.
If you’d like to read about why I follow a Ketogenic diet and what I keep in my pantry at all times click HERE. Also, click HERE to see all my ketogenic/ low carb recipes.
Ketogenic Low carb Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (thawed)
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower (thawed)
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots (thawed)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- pinch thyme
- 1 rotisserie chicken, diced (or approx 2.5 cups pre-cooked chicken )
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of butter, cut into small cubes.
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 1 egg white
- 1⅓ cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella, shredded
- Dice up one whole rotisserie chicken (or chicken you have pre cooked approx. 2.5 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sautee onion, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter in an oven safe skillet for approx 5 min or until onions are translucent. Add thawed veggies.
- Add heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, & thyme.
- Sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top and simmer for 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. You need a lot of liquid for this recipe, otherwise, it will be dry.
- Add diced chicken and sprinkle with cheese. set aside while you make the crust.
- Make the pie crust by combining almond flour, coconut flour, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder. Whisk together.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Add sour cream and egg white and combine into a ball.
- Roll out pie crust on top of parchment paper- I forgot the parchment paper and it was very difficult to transfer onto my pot pie. You can use almond flour to keep the roller from sticking to the dough while rolling it out.
- Transfer dough onto pot pie and Bake in a 400 degree oven 15-20 min.