I’ve been making these tasty Cherry Chip Shortbread Cookies for a few years now, but usually around Christmas. I thought this year it would be fun to make them for Valentines Day.
They are the perfect color after all. In the past Ive always just rolled the dough into balls and dropped them onto the baking sheet… no fuss! We decided it would be way more festive to roll them out and cut them into hearts. The dough cooperated perfectly and it turned out to be a great activity with the kiddos!
We used very little flour when rolling out the dough, but it made no difference to the end result… delicious!
And the best part is dipping these Cherry Chip Shortbread Cookies into the melted white chocolate and of course the sprinkles. Everybody loves sprinkles!
Cherry Chip Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and finally chopped (Reserve Juice)
- 2 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup [ 2 sticks ] cold butter
- 2 ounces white chocolate chips (approx. 2/3 cup) finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Additional white chocolate chips for dipping
- 2 tbsp shortening
- Sprinkles for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spread the chopped cherries on a paper towel to drain. Don't forget to reserve the juice though!
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the drained cherries and chopped white chocolate. Add the almond extract and enough reserved juice to form a smooth ball. Gradually add a tablespoon of juice at a time and mix with your hands until the dough comes together.
3. Lightly flour your counter top and roll out the dough. About 1/4-1/2" thick. Cut out desired shape. We used small hearts. Place onto a non greased cookie sheet about 2" apart. I prefer air pans or lighter colored baking sheets.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the centers are set. Cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet. Then transfer to a wire tack to cool completely.
5. If desired, dip the cookies into about 4-5 ounces of melted white chocolate chips mixed with the 2 tablespoons of shortening. Before they set, roll the edges in sprinkles. Let chocolate set before stacking or serving. Cover and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Add to favorites or read later