*This post was sponsored by Uptown Drapes and Artisan Hardware. Special thank you to them both for sponsoring this One room challenge project. All opinions are my own.
Designing kid spaces can be so fun! The tricky part is designing a kid space that can grow and evolve as they get older! Today I am sharing my son’s modern industrial bedroom design that will stand the test of time.
How to create a timeless modern industrial boys bedroom
How do you create a kid space that won’t be outgrown in 2 years? I’ve outlines 4 simple tips to avoid the continual overhaul. Start with a sophisticated foundation and layer in the age appropriate decor.
- Buy full size furniture. Avoid kid beds and kid size dressers. They will outgrow them before you know it and you’ll have to start all over. Instead opt for a full sized bed and furniture like shelves and desks they can use until they are out of the house. You’ll notice the suspended bed I built is full size!
- Don’t get too Themey! I know that’s really not a word, but you get the gist. My son likes StarWars, so I have incorporated a few “temporary pieces” that are easily changed out as his taste changes. Minimize themed decor to throw pillows, decals, and art. Keep the more expensive items neutral and timeless.
- Choose a color palette thats Kiddish without being too baby! Keep your walls somewhat neutral and bring in color with accessories.
- Keep the pattern play to a maximum of 2-3 patterns. Kids are crazy as it is, don’t add too much chaos by layering pattern on pattern on pattern. In my sons room you will see a plaid, a stripe, and a tribal print…that’s it!
Now let’s see how these tips play out in my sons bedroom! Below is the full design board with every item sourced and linked for you! Hover and click on the image you want to shop and it will take you directly to the source! Easy Peasy!
*Affiliate links used throughout!
If you are just catching up on my Son’s bedroom design process, I have been at it for 5 weeks. I have taken on his bedroom overhaul as part of the One Room Challenge. Basically I started with a blank canvas on week one. I have been designing and DIYing his space one project at a time. Next week is the final reveal (so ya better come back). You can catch up on each weeks progress by clicking the links below and be sure to see what all the other participants are up to HERE.
Modern industrial boys bedroom design with metal and wood accents
This week I will be putting together furniture and installing all the accessories. Many of you have asked about the paint colors. The Ceiling, barn door, and bed are all painted Cheating Heart by Benjamin Moore. The walls and molding are Simply white by Benjamin Moore. Let’s talk about these plaid drapes though! Holy moly I LOVE THEM! I have been working with Geeta from Uptown Draperies on my window treatments throughout my house. She has been doing custom window dressings locally for many years and now she has launched her new website. That’s great news for all my nationwide peeps here and on Instagram! Her new site is amazing and it covers everything below thoroughly! My sons drapes are the Yorktown Plaid fabric in the glacier color.
- A step by step website that takes you through the whole process of designing, to ordering, to installing your very own custom made window treatments.
- A beautiful gallery of photos that Uptown Drapes has done in clients homes to inspire you and give you great ideas for your own home.
- Customize your own drapes, romans, and rods
- Select from a collection of hand picked current fabrics. Over 660 fabrics to chose from.
- Order swatches from the website so you can touch and see the fabric before you commit!
- How to measure for drapes, rod, and romans videos.
- How to install drapes, and romans video
- Tips and tricks (to make your window treatments look picture perfect) videos.
- Beautiful professional quality in all our products.
Take a look at my sons barn door. We actually just used our regular interior door (same throughout the house) and hung it on a barn door track. All of the barn door hardware in my home is from Artisan Hardware. Do you recall the chrome and brass hardware from my Master bathroom? They really have some amazing designs and finishes to choose from. This particular track is called the Artisan Strap. I love the wood wheel detail. I selected the stainless steal finish, but it comes in 8 different metal options and a ton of additional solid colors as well. A perfect blend of modern and industrial design.
That completes the progress made on my sons modern industrial bedroom for this week. Be sure to check back next week for the final Reveal!
Similar trunk dressers
Furniture & Accessories